If you live in the Kooskia or Kamiah area long enough you learn all the fun family fishing holes, but if you aren’t from the area you have no clue the fun you’re missing out on! There are a few in and around the area that people frequent. These are great places to take your young kids to learn to fish and just enjoy a family day of fishing and picnicking! (I have added the Fish and Game website for you to browse and look at the regulations that each fishing hole requires.)I am adding these in no particular order, each has their own accommodations and fun, I’ve added a few features of each place. Have fun on your family fishing outings!
- Tommy Robinson Pond- Right outside of Kamiah just off Lawyers Creek Road about three miles up the canyon. Has a few trees and benches. Perfect just off the road place to take the kids after a day of work.
- Deyo Reservoir- 4 miles from Weippe and a mile or so off of Hwy 11, it’s in the middle of farm and timber country. Has a maintained trail around the entire reservoir with seven fishing docks and two large fishing peninsulas, these make for easy fishing with the family. It also boasts a boat ramp, picnic shelters, benches and two handicap-accessible docks. You can also reserve a camping spot if you decide to make it a weekend trip!
- Deer Creek Reservoir- Located about 11 miles north of Pierce, Idaho on Hwy. 11. Day use only.
- Campbells Pond- Located off Grangemont road out of Orofino. Has two fishing docks and picnic tables.
- Nez Perce Tribe Tunnel Pond- Non-tribal use daylight only. Children 13 and under may fish without a permit as long as they are accompanied with a permit holder. Tunnel Pond is located in Orofino just a few miles off of Lower Fords Creek Road. TunnelPond-https://www.nptfishpermits.com/Trout
- Fenn Pond,Lowell Idaho- This small pond next to the Selway River offers especially good fishing in the spring and early summer when it’s stocked with rainbow trout. The boardwalk and fishing dock offer easy access on even ground. Turn south off of US Hwy 12 onto Selway (River) Rd at Lowell. Continue 4.8 miles along the north side of the Selway River. Fenn Pond is located across from the historic Fenn Ranger Station between the road and the Selway River.
- Winchester Lake- Winchester Lake offers very easy access. Docks and fishing platforms enhance fishing opportunities for beginners and accomplished anglers. Facilities include a picnic shelter, fish cleaning station, swimming beach, benches and picnic tables, and a range of camping options. Winchester Lake is near the small town of Winchester. From US Hwy 95 turn west onto the Hwy 95 business loop and proceed about 1.5 miles to the town of Winchester. The lake is easily located just south of town. https://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/parks/winchester-lake/
Idaho is an amazing outdoor oasis! Enjoy your fishing!